Criminal Appeals in D.C.

A criminal defendant who believes that a mistake has been made with respect to his/her case can appeal the decision before the D.C. Court of Appeals.  A notice of appeal must be filed with the clerk of the D.C Superior Court within 30 days of the judgment or order from which the appeal will be taken.  That starts the process.

Although every case will be decided on its own facts and no lawyer can guarantee results, Jamison Koehler has prevailed on a number of high-profile cases before the D.C. Court of Appeals.

In Curtis Best v. United States, 66 A.3d 1013 (D.C. 2013), Mr. Koehler argued successfully that his client’s constitutional rights were violated when the government was allowed to introduce hearsay testimony against his client. Mr. Best’s conviction for simple assault was therefore overturned. 

In James Schools v. United States, 84 A.3d 503 (D.C. 2013), the D.C. Court of Appeals reversed the conviction of Mr. Koehler’s client after finding that no reasonable jury could have found beyond a reasonable doubt that Mr. Koehler’s client possessed the firearm in question.  

In Josue Lopez Ambrocio v. District of Columbia, 124 A.3d 628 (D.C. 2015), Mr. Koehler argued successfully that the government had failed to comply with its obligations under the Jencks Act.  The case was thus remanded to the trial court for further findings.  

Finally, in DeAndre Brooks v. United States, 130 A.3d 952 (D.C. 2015), the Court of Appeals reversed his client’s conviction for Possession of Drug Paraphernalia on the basis of insufficient evidence.