Here are 15 reasons I prefer D.C. Superior Court to the Criminal Justice Center in Philadelphia:
- There is a cafeteria.
- There is a lawyer’s lounge.
- There is a legal library.
- Women in orange jackets greet you when you come into the building and direct you to where you need to go.
- You can get into an elevator.
- When you can’t get into an elevator, there are escalators.
- Court clerks are generally pleasant and professional.
- Judges, not clerks, run the courtroom.
- Most judges take the bench on time.
- Most judges follow the law.
- Magistrate judges have law degrees and act like judges.
- Probation officers return your calls and send you materials in advance.
- There is a listserv for criminal defense lawyers.
- Prosecutors tend to be older and better educated.
- I have yet to see a fight in the courtroom or hallway.